The perfect snack, side dish or appetizer, these Air Fryer Zucchini chips are coated with Panko and Parmesan Cheese for a crispy outside and tender inside. Easy to make, eat and share, they are a fun and healthy dish for just about any occasion.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
EASY – These Zucchini Chips are super easy to make. Just slice up the zucchini, dredge them in their coating and let the Air Fryer do all the work! And so much quicker than baking in a regular oven!
HEALTHY – Using just a faction of the oil of deep frying, you get those crispy, delicious results without all the fat and calories!
Why Air Fry?
The Air Fryer has been one of the most popular kitchen gadgets on the market for the past couple of years. Why? What is so special about this little contraption? I’ve fallen in love with my Air Fryer because they are so easy to use, easy to clean and you get great results just about every time. By using just a tiny bit of oil, you can get the same results that you’d expect if you dunked your food in a huge vat of cooking oil. But now, you have a fraction of the saturated fat and guilt! So go ahead, eat those Chicken Wings and Onion Rings! Or try an Air Fried version of Chicken Cordon Bleu! There are so many things you can do with your Air Fryer! They make “guilty” dishes guilt free and they make “healthy” dishes taste unbelievable.
Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
Last week, I make some Crispy Air Fried Mushrooms. They turned out awesome! So, my next adventure into panko breaded vegetables will be these Air Fryer Zucchini Chips. I’ll use a lot of the same recipe that I used with the Mushrooms, but with just a couple of tweaks. The process is pretty simple, just check out the recipe card for step-by-step instructions. Here are the ingredients:
- SLICED ZUCCHINI – Make sure you are buying nice, fresh zucchini. You want to look for a vibrant green color with no blemishes and for it to be nice and firm. You can cut your Zucchini into however thick of slices you want to. Just note that the thicker the slice, the longer it may take to cook. We like to use a mandoline slicer to get nice, even cuts.
- EGG – A binding agent to help the bread crumbs stick to the zucchini.
- PANKO BREAD CRUMBS – We love using Panko Bread Crumbs because they come out extra crispy in the Air Fryer. But if you want to, you can use regular or Italian Bread Crumbs.
- CORN STARCH – A secret ingredient to really crisp up the coating. If you can find it, Potato Starch is even better!
- PARMESAN CHEESE – Adds an extra boost of salty flavor to the Panko mixture.
- SALT AND PEPPER – To taste.
Notes, Tips and Variations
- FOOD PROCESSOR – One trick I like to use is to put my Panko Bread Crumbs and Parmesan Cheese into a food processor for a short while. This breaks them up into even smaller pieces and I find that they are able to stay on the Zucchini a little bit better.
- COOKING SPRAY – Also, don’t forget to spray your pan and spray both sides of the Zucchini Chips. A little bit of oil can really make these Air Fryer recipes sing! But that little bit of oil is important!
- DON’T OVER CROWD THE BASKET – Air Fryers work the best when there is room for the hot air to circulate around and cook the food equally from all sides. So, keep all your zucchini chips in a single layer and don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- DIPPING SAUCE – I dip mine in Sriracha Ranch (1/4 cup ranch to 1 tsp Sriracha). But regular ranch dressing would work great too! You could also try marinara sauce.
- REMOVE MOISTURE – Patting your zucchini with a paper towel to remove some moisture is an important step. Don’t forget it!
- GAME DAY APPETIZER – They make a great healthy alternative for an appetizer game day snack or tailgating recipe.
Air Fryer Zucchini chips
- 1 Cup Zucchini Sliced into thin chips
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Corn Starch
- 1 Egg
Preheat Air Fryer to 390 degrees
Cut Zucchini into thin chips. Pat with paper towel to remove moisture.
Mix together, panko bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and parmesan cheese. *Optional-put mixture into a food processor to make blend into finer pieces that will stick to Zucchini better.
Get three medium sized bowls, put corn starch in one, egg in another and panko breadcrumb mixture in the third.
Dip Zucchini into corn starch, then egg and then bread crumbs. Make sure each chips is fully coated.
Spray basket with cooking spray. Put zucchini into basket and then spray the top of the zucchini with cooking spray.
Cook for 5-6 minutes. Turn Zucchini over and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
Take out when Zucchini is golden brown on both sides.
One trick I like to use is to put my Panko Bread Crumbs and Parmesan Cheese into a food processor for a short while. This breaks them up into even smaller pieces and I find that they are able to stay on the Zucchini a little bit better.
Also, don't forget to spray your pan and spray both sides of the Zucchini Chips. A little bit of oil can really make these Air Fryer recipes sing! But that little bit of oil is important!