These Air Fryer Eggplant Fries are loaded with fun but trimmed of the fat and calories of regular fries. Crispy seasoned Panko Bread Crumbs on the outside give way to tender Eggplant on the inside. They are cooked to perfection in your Air Fryer in just minutes! Easy, simple, delicious and healthy! Check these out!
Air Fryer Vegetables
I’ve been into my Air Fryer for about 2 years now. I’ve been making EVERYTHING in it and it’s all been delicious. From Asian Food to Seafood, you just can’t go wrong. An Air Fryer can take some seriously unhealthy food and cook them in a way that shaves off the calories and fat without sacrificing that “deep fried” taste we all love. But I’ve also found that an Air Fryer can take healthy foods and make them taste even better, without adding calories and fat, as well! This is best illustrated with any Air Fried Vegetables. I’ve been using my Air Fryer to cook all sorts of vegetables, and they have all been great. Here are some of my favorites:
- AIR FRYER ZUCCHINI CHIPS
- AIR FRYER MUSHROOMS
- AIR FRYER CAULIFLOWER
- AIR FRYER CARROTS
- AIR FRYER BROCCOLI
But a couple months ago, I made Air Fryer Zucchini Fries and they were one of my favorite recipes. It is an awesome substitute for traditional french fries when you are watching your waistline. So, I thought it would be awesome to try the same thing with Air Fryer Eggplant Fries!
Air Fryer Eggplant Fries
I can’t believe it took me this long to discover that Eggplant tastes great when it is Air Fried. You could certainly make an Air Fried Eggplant Sandwich, which I am certainly planning to do. But these Eggplant Fries are a great idea because they can go with just about anything. They make a great side dish for a sandwich or entree. Or you can make a batch of them for the big game or any gathering at your house. They taste great dipped in ranch, mustard, pasta sauce, fry sauce or even ketchup!
Air Fryer Eggplant Ingredients
Here is what you will need to get started:
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
I had some of the eggplant left over but had used all of my breading. So I thought I’d try out a gluten free version of this. Whoa! My wife and I liked these even more than the eggplant with the Panko breading on them. They were delicious. And, since you don’t need to dip the in egg wash and coat them, they literally took about 2 minutes to prepare for the Air Fryer. Here is what I put in the Gluten Free Air Fryer Eggplant Fries:
- Eggplant, cut into 1 X 1/4 inch “fries”
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Brady Street Cheese Sprinkle *
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
I simple mixed all the ingredients in a large bowl and threw them in the Air Fryer at 390 degrees. I did 4 minutes, flipped them and then took them out after another 3 minutes. They were AMAZING. I will definitely be trying this again!
Notes, Tips and Variations:
- *BRADY STREET CHEESE SPRINKLE- I HIGHLY recommend always having some of this magical cheese sprinkle on hand. It makes just about everything in the world taste awesome. But, if you don’t, you could mix in a couple of tablespoons of parmesan cheese and 1/4 tsp of garlic powder.
- PANKO SEASONING TIP- I’ll mention it in the recipe but want to repeat it here. I’ve found it is very beneficial to take my Panko seasoning ingredients and put them in a food processor for a couple seconds. This makes it into a “finer” product that will stick to the egg wash a little better. It’s worth the extra step to do this.
- USE A FORK!- I’ve also found that using a fork to dip your eggplant in the egg wash an panko mixture really helps. I dump as many of the eggplant fries into the egg as possible to get them coated. And then take one out at a time to put them into the Panko seasoning.
- ADD SOME SPICE!- Next time, I may try adding 1/4 tsp of chili powder into the mix to give it a little kick!
- ALL AIR FRYERS ARE DIFFERENT- I’ve got two different Air Fryers and they both cook the same foods at different rates. The times I put on here are meant to be flexible. Keep an eye on your eggplant fries. Take them out when they are nice, golden and crispy on the outside.
I hope you enjoy these Air Fryer Eggplant Fries. Let me know how they turned out for you!
Air Fryer Eggplant Fries
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
Preheat Air Fryer to 390 degrees.
Cut eggplant in half. Then in 1/4 inch "slices". Cut those slices into "fry" shapes and then cut those in half.
Mix together Panko Bread Crumbs, Parmesan Cheese, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Salt. If possible, pulse in a food processor for a couple of seconds.
Put egg into one bowl and the Panko Mixture into another. Dip the Eggplant Fries into the egg and then coat with the Panko Mixture.
Spray Air Fryer with cooking spray and put the Eggplant Fries in. Don't layer the Eggplant. If you have a rack, you can use that. Otherwise, do them in batches.
Cook at 390 degrees for 5 minutes. Flip them and cook for another 3-4 minutes.